Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Wednesday Morning Notes

Time is really passing fast here at the series.  Our days are so packed with activities that I cannot post here as often as I thought I could.  Moreover, after my last game of the day, I spend about two hours returning text messages, emails, phone calls, and Facebook messages from all of well wishes sent by my very kind friends and family.  In fact, my phone often runs out of power while I am sitting in the stands watching another game from the stands.  When Karen and I return to the room, I'm spent and just flop into bed.  However, no need to worry.  I am keeping notes that I will eventually turn into a complete story of this incredible experience.  Thanks for your patience.  I have all kinds of stories to share with all of you.


We have some down time this morning.  The first game is not until 4:00 PM, so I hope to rest and catch up on some work.  However, I do want to share one of yesterday's highlights with you.  Uganda played  the team from the Northwest region in a consolation game.  The setting was electric!  About 7,000 fans filled Lamade stadium and the hillside to watch - and more than 90% came to cheer for Uganda. This is amazing considering that the Uganda team brought no home town fans or parents whatsoever.  All the Little League world adopted them as their very own throughout this tournament and today was no different.   I will have more to relate to you later regarding this incredible team and their story, from my perspective, but it is no secret that EVERYONE wanted them to win their first LLWS game - even some of the Northwest fans.  Prior to the game, a few of us umpires went to the "well" at field level to watch the pre-game activities and part of the game itself.  Attached is a video of both teams dancing with Dugout.  It was a great sight to see.  We later retired to the umpire locker room to watch the game on TV not so secretly cheering for Uganda.  After the last out, we then watched some of the best Little League sportsmanship ever.  Despite the Ugandan win, the Northwest team was all smiles, hugging each of their opponents and giving them their batting gloves as a token of respect and appreciation.  The Ugandan coach was hugging the Northwest coaches and players, even carrying some of the latter around on his shoulders. The party continued for about 20 minutes before the ground crew scurried them all way.  It was the perfect Little League image of sportsmanship and a model for what should be for other parts of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment