Saturday, August 11, 2012

A Bit of LLWS History Here at Home

As the time to travel to Williamsport gets closer, the well wishes are continuing to flow in many forms: emails, phone calls, text messages, letters, and cards.  Yesterday, I received a very unique message in a card from my good friend, Chuck Lundquist, a retired Lutheran minister, whom I haven't seen in months.  Chuck not only wished me luck, but provided some sage advice that you would expect from a "person of the cloth".   Chuck further noted that he is a graduate of South Williamsport High School (1946) as well as Lycoming College (1948; when it was then known as Dickinson Junior College), which is also located in Williamsport.  Chuck also included a tidbit of information that I didn't know.  I quote the following from his card:
"I'd be interested in your WS alumni umpire card number.  My dad had card #9.  He worked the original LL field on 3rd St in Williamsport, across from the Bowman field where the Scrappers play." 
[The Scrappers refer to our local professional minor league team that plays the Crosscutters of Williamsport, a minor league team associated with the Philadelphia Phillies.]

Now how interesting is that!  It is indeed a small world.

No comments:

Post a Comment