Tuesday, August 14, 2012

LLWS - Day 1

As noted in the previous post, Karen and I arrived in Williamsport to a whole new group of friends.  I'm sure that I'll post more about these wonderful people as I get to know them better.  However, if first impressions are true insights, then sharing this experience with these folks will be a real blast.

My very first look at Lamade Stadium
We could not get into our room immediately, so after some terrific fellowship with our new friends and their significant others, Karen and I had some lunch, then traipsed on over to the Little League complex.  We didn't have a lot of time to look around, so we made a brief entrance into the park.  We were met by two great events staff people at the gate who were extraordinarily gracious in pointing out some features and history of the complex. We even quickly met the team from Latin America.  These kids are obviously as thrilled as I am.

I got my first look of Lamada Stadium.  I was awestruck.  I think reality is finally starting to set in - I am a World Series umpire!  Interesting, we saw the ground crew working on the first base line of Lamade Stadium.  The staff person told us that this morning the ground crew decided to replace the turf along that line because it was not up to their standards.  Amazing!  Replacing turf within 48 hours of a game!  The staff person further noted that the fields of both stadia are mowed and watered each day.  It really shows.

Moreover, it's been like Christmas in August.  You can't imagine the gifts that the other umpires brought for all of us - bags, shirts, hats, etc., in addition to the traditional pin exchange.  No one told me about this tradition.  I only brought a few trinkets in addition to my pin.

Tonight, we umpires attended a meeting with LLWS staff and the coaches from all the teams.  Steve Keener, the CEO of Little League, gave a very welcoming and inspiring speech that included a gracious shout out to the umpires.  Clearly, he appreciates us being here and assured us that a key principle would be respect for the umpires in each and every game.

Tomorrow will be a big day for the umpiring crew.  We meet at 9:00 AM to go over a number of items as well as to retrieve our credentials and other materials.  Also, we will receive our umpiring schedules for the first two days of the tournament - so stay tuned.  I will post my duties as soon as possible.  In addition, we will be having photos taken, then participate in the annual LLWS parade later tomorrow evening.  It will be a full, busy day, but we all are looking forward to it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment