Monday, August 6, 2012

The Excitement is Building

I have been doing my best to keep everything associated with the Little League World Series (LLWS) in perspective, much like I do during the Christmas season.  I tend not to get too excited by impending events, like the Christmas holidays, until three to four days before they arrive.  Well, over the last couple of days the excitement about going to Williamsport next week has grown dramatically.

The excitement was spurred by a number of things.  First, my LLWS pins arrived last Friday.  They are awesome, in my opinion.  The company, PinSource, did a great job.  My son, who designed the pin, was pleased as well - which is hard to do being the perfectionist he is.  Second, again last Friday, I was informed that a local television station wanted to do a "post-LLWS" interview.  I can already hear the question - "What was going through your mind when you blew that call?"  Moreover, I  have a self-critical answer, but I can't print it here in this family-friendly blog.  Third, over the weekend I received a wonderful email from an old friend and umpire colleague, Ken Garrison.  Ken was among the group of outstanding umpires I trained under in District 14, Texas.  In 2005, while I umpiring at the Central Regional tournament, Ken was working the Southwest Regional tournament in Texas.  A couple of years ago, Ken was rewarded for his talented efforts by umpiring in the LLWS.  His email contained his best wishes as well as some wise advice.  With humor and humility, Ken also noted that he made history at the LLWS.  Go ahead, take a guess as to what it is!  Fourth, all my friends at work and elsewhere have been constant sources of encouragement, support, and questions - again, mostly "what games ...." and "when do you go to ....."  Today was no different.  There were tons of questions to answer and well wishes to accept.  Obviously, my friends and co-workers are proud of me.  If I flounder at the LLWS, I wonder if they will be talking to me or shunning me after I return?  Fifth, while I was away this weekend relaxing on a golf mini-vacation with my Dad and Uncle, I missed a phone call from a local radio station wanting to interview me on their live sports show.  Since we did not connect at that time, the radio host suggested via his message that we find a time later this week.  I returned his call today leaving a message noting my availability.  Perhaps that will still happen before I leave for the LLWS.  Then today, the completely unexpected did happen - I received a call from ESPN.  The researcher said he just wanted to check on some background information about me.  He noted that he was in the process of calling all the LLWS umpires to do the same, so I wasn't a special case.  Nonetheless, how often do you get a call from ESPN?  Finally, over the past week there have been countless emails from the other LLWS umpires with whom I will be working in the next few weeks.  We are all sharing thoughts and experiences as well as a good deal of self-effacing humor.  I can't wait to meet these guys.

Collectively, considering all the above, it suddenly hit me today.  There is no fine lettered disclaimer on my LLWS invitation noting that the letter is a cruel joke.  This is the real deal.  I'm going to be an up ire at the LLWS.  In seven days, Karen and I will be driving to Williamsport for me to take part in something I seriously thought would never happen.  Now I am really nervous - yet very excited.

Grandpap's Little Girl - Mia Isabella Cooper (in utero)
However, I think there is something, or actually the arrival of someone, that will be more exciting than the LLWS - hard as that is to believe.  Last night, my son, Chet III, and his lovely bride, Gina, dropped by and delivered a picture of Mia Isabella Cooper, our granddaughter to be, who is due to arrive in early November.  Perhaps I'll start my Christmas shopping immediately after returning from the LLWS. Wonder if Mia is a lefty or righty? Shucks, I better play it safe and get both types of mitts!  And a ball, a bat, a mask, a Pirates cap .....

No comments:

Post a Comment