Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Off to Williamsport

Today's the day!  In a few hours, Karen and I will be making our way to Williamsport.  We're all set except for a few items to go in the suitcases that need to be loaded into the car.  After that, just a stop for a Starbucks, some fuel, then to the highway.  Next stop, the Little League World Series.  I never believed this day would ever happen!

Last night, while busy packing and answering numerous messages wishing us well, I did a live interview with a local radio station, 1390 AM WNIO.  It was fun to do and I hope the show's hosts thought it worthwhile.  My daughter, Heather, recorded the show and I will post the audio sometime later on this blog.

One of the calls I received let night was from my parents who listened to the radio show online from Western Pennsylvania where they live.  They told me that they were bursting with pride - and Mom was in tears.  They had some very touching words for me - something to the effect that I didn't turn out half bad as an adult.  Little do they know that one of the principles of being a Little League umpire is that you never fully grow up!  Karen can vouch for that.

In addition, my father called back later to say that a writer for the Beaver County Times, my old hometown newspaper, would be calling me soon about my upcoming experience at the LLWS. Sure enough, a fellow from the Times  named Bill Allman called me last night.  What a surprise! Bill and I were teammates on our Little League team more than 40 years ago.  We played for the Eagles, a team coached by my dad.  Interesting coincidence, eh?  We had a good time reminiscing about our "glory days" and winning the league title and partying like crazy in my backyard in celebration. What great memories!  Since those days, we've both taken different pathways in life, but once again those paths have crossed. What a small world, indeed!  Bill's interview of me lasted  about 30 minutes. He said his story would be printed in Thursday's issue.  I really can't wait to see it.

Well, gotta go wake up Karen and finish packing now.  More later.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment