Thursday, July 12, 2012

Why this blog?

I've been pondering for some time how to communicate with the numerous folks who have approached me with countless questions and tremendous well wishes - all because they heard that I am soon to be umpiring in the 2012 version of the Little League World Series.  They have been enthusiastic in their support, even those who don't know me well.  The compliments and encouragement I have received have been all positive - except for the one curmudgeonly individual at my church who repeatedly makes it a point to tell me that I'm too fat to umpire baseball!  This status of being a so-called umpire 'rock star' (mockingly anointed as such by my fellow officials) actually is very humbling, especially when the young players look at you and ask "Are you really a World Series umpire?"  For example, after last night's Ohio District 2 Majors championship game, which I umpired behind the plate, I was about to enter the dressing room when a pair of starry-eyed young boys sheepishly approached me to ask if the 'World Series umpire' had a game ball to give them.  How could I say no?  I just happened to have two left in my ball bag which they joyously received, then ran off shouting with glee.  Seriously, isn't that what Little League is all about?  Humbling, ... truly humbling.
Norman Rockwell's classic
painting: "Three Umpires"

Among the various interactions I have had with folks recently, they typically ask me a common series of questions - "How many games will you umpire?", "Do you know which games you'll umpire?", "How did you get selected for the World Series?"  My answers have been standard for all three - I have absolutely no clue, particularly regarding the latter question.  And I guess that's one of the reasons for this blog: to answer these questions, and others, for all my supporters (and detractors, particularly the church curmudgeon).  More so, I hope sharing my odyssey to Williamsport will not only provide answers to the numerous questions that folks raise, but also help promote the ideals symbolized by America's pastime.  Given the current cultural and political climate in our country, we need baseball more than ever to remind us that while competition is generally a good thing, sportsmanship (i.e., civility, tolerance, compromise, and compassion) is a vital hallmark of our society.  Finally, I want to record my experiences while I still remember them, particularly the details of my umpiring journey from the dusty ball fields in League City, Texas to the mecca of all of youth baseball, the Lamade and Volunteer stadia in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.  I have come to realize that as I get older, my memory rivals that of the old Commodore 64 computer!  And like that old classic, there are probably no memory upgrades for my eroding mental faculties.  Hence, I gotta get busy putting stuff down in writing.  But, as the title of this blog suggests, I believe there is more than just memories to record and questions to answer.  I would like to continue this discussion beyond my two weeks at Williamsport this coming August.  I'm sure my odyssey won't end once I step off the ball fields of Lamade and Volunteer.  I truly hope there will be many years more to enjoy the umpire experience, make memories, provide answers, share advice, and positively impact a new generation.  I hope you'll come along for the journey.  In fact, there's a seat for you on the "Williamsport and Beyond Express" - right beside the church curmudgeon.  I hope you are skinny!

Yes, I will admit, this blog is a bit of an "ego thing" as well.  I'm sure, however, that my friends, colleagues, fellow umpires, the church curmudgeon, my family, and especially my long-suffering, umpire-widowed wife will use every tool at their disposal to keep me as humble as possible.  And if all else fails to do so, someone should break out the secret weapon - send along a couple of wide-eyed, giggling young ball players to chat with me.  Assuredly, they will not only deflate my ego, but moreover melt my heart.

Please, stay tuned................




No comments:

Post a Comment