Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Something's Happening Here .....

Over the past two weeks, news of my impending stint at the Little League World Series (LLWS) is spreading rapidly and rampantly.  Much of this is due to "word of mouth" by family, friends, work colleagues, and fellow umpires. Moreover, a big part of the "hoopla" can be attributed to Gary Williams, the District Administrator for Ohio District 2 Little League.  He has been my major supporter in this journey.  Somehow he has this idea that he is also my agent and in for a 25% cut of the profits!  He doesn't seem to understand that "volunteer umpire" involves no exchange of funds whatsoever.

Then there is my loving wife, Karen.  She has been my very best friend throughout all of this and understandably proud.  I sure hope she is enjoying the journey as well.  She certainly seems to be.  We're looking forward to our Williamsport trip and spending some time together after a long, busy summer.  However, Karen's Facebook postings are embarrassing!  Lately, she's posted a gazillion pictures of me, mainly while I am umpiring.  This is another way word is spreading given that Karen seemingly knows everyone in the Western Hemisphere, .... well, at least in the greater Youngstown area.

"Behind the scene" of the WFMJ interview by
Jennifer Baligush and her photographer, Paul.
In April of this year, Gary somehow managed to get a local TV station, WKBN, to interview me prior to a high school game.  There's a link to that story below.  Last week, Gary again managed to another local TV station (WFMJ), as well as the local newspaper, the Vindicator, to interview me prior to the 12 year-old district championship game that I was umpiring.  The latter two stories have yet to appear, but I am told they will soon.  I will post links to these stories as they become available.  Moreover, the folks in the athletic department at Youngstown State University (YSU) put out an announcement on their web page this morning.  A link to that story is also provided below.  I really do appreciate Gary's efforts in "spreading the word" as well as the enthusiasm of the YSU athletic department.  [Why would the YSU sports folks take notice, you ask?  For those of you that don't know, I serve as YSU's Faculty Athletics Representative to the NCAA.  Besides, it's the offseason - they need a story, obviously, any story!]

Then, yesterday, while umpiring the dish in a Connie Mack tournament game, unknown to me the coach of the Ohio Yankees (a team from outside the Youngstown area) told his team that I was on my way to the LLWS.  The subject had come up in our pre-game meeting.  Yet, I was surprised, and humbled, that each of his players offered me their congratulations as they came to bat.  I was touched by this gesture - but not enough to alter the strike zone!!!

The attention I am getting for being selected to LLWS umpire crew is something I'm not use to having showered upon me.  Keeping this all in perspective is a challenge.  I keep reminding myself that baseball is just a game and the real stars of Little League baseball are the kids.  The parents, coaches, and especially the umpires, are to stay clear of drawing attention to themselves as much as possible.  In this regard, my mind keeps wandering back to when I was young.  My parents had friends who thought every little thing that they accomplished, acquired, or experienced was "better than sliced bread."  Their entire self-esteem was wrapped up in making their lives worthy of excessive glory and gloating.  Of course, a bit of self-esteem is necessary not only in everyone's daily life, but without it an umpire would be subject to being eviscerated by coaches and players.  The trick is to be confident, not arrogant.  Hence, ever since realizing that my parent's friends represented the epitome of egregious self importance, I vowed never to be that way.  I do my best everyday to accept success humbly and to lose graciously.  I intend to keep this pledge, particularly with the whirlwind of well wishes and interviews all about me.  I leave it to others to judge how well I am keeping this vow.  For now, I need to keep remembering that no matter how much attention that is thrown my way, I will still have to pay $2.10 to get a large cup of coffee at Starbucks.  Fame is indeed fleeting; infamy is forever.

Gary, my "agent",  just texted me.  He says more interviews are on the way.   Sigh ............


No comments:

Post a Comment